The call for applications opens March 1st.
The FAIR Data Fund, organised by 4TU.ResearchData, offers researchers an opportunity to apply for financial aid to cover the costs of making their data findable, accessible, interoperable and reusable (The FAIR principles).
The maximum financial contribution is €3.500 per applicant. The call for applications opens on Monday 1st March and ends on Wednesday 31st March 2021. Applicants will be notified of the outcomes by Friday 30th April.
What efforts can be funded?
The FAIR data fund is for exceptional situations where there are no other resources available to make data FAIR. The fund is not intended to replace data management costs normally budgeted for in grant proposals.
Examples of activities which can be funded by the FAIR Data Fund:
- Identifying and implementing appropriate metadata standards to make data FAIR
- Generating (meta)data documentation or adding relevant documentation to datasets
- Anonymisation or aggregation of confidential data to make them publishable
- Shifting from a proprietary to open data format to make data interoperable
- Creating compelling data visualisations or other materials to make datasets more accessible and reusable
- Promotion activity of a FAIR dataset that aims to increase its impact and reuse (e.g. delivering a presentation about the FAIR dataset and 4TU.ResearchData at a conference).
Please read the eligibility criteria below before submitting your application.
- Only researchers from 4TU.ResearchData partners; TU Delft, TU Eindhoven, and/or the University of Twente can apply.
- The research dataset to be FAIRified must have been collected/created in affiliation with TU Delft, TU Eindhoven, and/or the University of Twente.
- Applicants should present a detailed description of activities needed to make the dataset FAIR with a budget estimation (a downloadable budget template will be provided).
- If this includes the hiring of assistants, the applicant must provide details of the required hours per task and the hourly cost.
- Applicants should indicate an estimated time deadline by which they expect the process of making their data FAIR will be complete for follow-up by 4TU.ResearchData.
- The dataset(s) must be deposited in 4TU.ResearchData.
- Applicants should agree to have an interview with a staff member at 4TU.ResearchData to have their application and research data showcased on the 4TU.ResearchData website, online community platform and social media channels.
- Applicants should provide 1-2 sentences describing their application which will be published on the 4TU.ResearchData website, online community platform and social media channels.
- To promote diversity, successful applicants (or their research groups) are not eligible to re-apply for three years since the time of their funded application.
- Other resources (financial, or in-kind) are not otherwise available to make the data FAIR
The full details of the FAIR Data Fund, including instructions for applicants, is now available on the 4TU.ResearchData website.
For more information on how to apply: